A Male Success Initiative (MSI)
The purpose of the Prairie State College Male Success Initiative (MSI) PDF is to recruit, enroll, retain, and support males of color in their pursuit of all educational endeavors. The program helps students to achieve their educational goals by providing:
- an academic advisor dedicated to participants
- orientation for new MSI students
- career planning (STEM and all other career options)
- priority registration
- service learning community – transition to college success class
- mentoring/ tutoring
- social and cultural activities
- connections to student club Protégé
The program coordinator works one-on-one with students to assist with appropriate course selection and early alert academic monitoring. Male Success Initiative participants also benefit from the obtainment of life skills and soft skills via workshops and guest speakers. Additionally, members receive transfer assistance and access to all of the services and resources offered in the Learning Achievement Center.
The program encourages personal growth, promotes community outreach, and provides an opportunity for participants to learn and adapt methods that promote success in college.
Contact William Berkley, Coordinator of the Male Success Initiative Program, at (708) 709-2946, or via e-mail at email@example.com for additional information.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the Male Success Initiative Program?
- It's a Prairie State College persistence and retention initiative specifically aimed at males of color. It offers methods of improving male student graduation rates and socialization skills.
- What are the benefits?
- The benefits of being a member of the Male Success Initiative Program are:
- individualized help with course advising, along with priority registration
- additional opportunities to work with faculty to create an academic support system
- graduation and transfer assistance, as well as college and university tours
- You will attend fun social activities on and off-campus
- Additionally, students have access to a computer lab as well as group and private study areas in the Learning Achievement Center.
- How do I apply?
- If you have been admitted to Prairie State College and have registered for classes you are eligible to apply for the MSI program.
- I have more questions. Who should I contact?
- Contact William Berkley, Male Success Initiative program coordinator, for an application and more information.